We're rebuilding the views page from the ground up. This work is taking place over several releases. While we build the new views page, the standard version remains available, and you can switch between the standard and beta versions at any time.
By default, the beta version of views is available to all customers. To activate the new views by default for your users or opt out of deploying the beta version of views on your domain, contact our support team at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We'd be really interested to hear what you think about the new views page, to ensure we're aligned with your evolving needs: Tell us what you think about the new views!
Learn more about views:
- What are views (standard version)?
- Create and manage views in your library
- Configure views in your library
This article describes the beta version of views:
Automatically generated table of contents
Access the beta views page
1. On a library homepage, select one of the views available.
Tip: You can show/hide the Views panel on the left side of the library homepage.
If you're accessing the view for the first time after rollout of AODocs R57, the new version of the views page opens.
Note: Click Give feedback to tell us what you think about the new views page!
Note: AODocs remembers your choice. When you open other views in any library on your domain, they open in the beta version. If you switch back to the standard version, all views in your libraries open in the standard version.
View in a Document Management library
Navigate between views
1. Click the navigate button in the top left corner of your view.
Note: The navigate button isn't displayed in libraries with only one view.
2. Select the required view from the drop down menu.
Search for documents in your view
You can search for documents in your view using keywords.
In the beta version, you can search by keyword in:
- properties only
- properties and attachments
Both options are available in all types of library. In the standard version of views, searching in attachments is available only in Document Management libraries. Aside from this improvement, the search in the beta version functions in the same way as in the standard version. Learn more: Search for documents by keyword.
Use the "Browse by" panel
If your administrator has configured the Browse by feature in your view, there's a collapsable panel on the left where you can navigate through the structure of your library. Depending on the configuration set up by your administrator, you can browse by:
- a category property
- workflow states
- document classes
Browse by the category "Country"
Limitations in the current release
The Browse by panel has the following limitation in the current release.
If your library administrator has configured a pre-filter in the view as well as Browse by, the entire folder / category / document class structure is still visible in the Browse by panel, but only documents that meet the pre-filter criteria are visible. This means that if you select at item in the Browse by panel that contains only documents that don't meet the pre-filter criteria, the item looks as if it is empty (even if it isn't) because a pre-filter has been defined for the view.
Customize the columns in your view
Library administrators define the default columns displayed in each view they configure. Learn more: Configure views in your library.
In the beta version of views, users can customize their views to display a different set of columns from those defined by the library administrator. Users can return to the default columns defined by the library administrator at any time.
1. Click Manage columns.
2. Select the columns you want to display in your view or click Reset to default to restore the default set of columns defined by the library administrator. Your view is immediately updated according to your selection.
Tip: Use the search bar to search for the required column heading.
3. Click anywhere on your view to close the Manage columns list.
4. If required, drag and drop columns using their headers to reorder them.
5. If required, click a column title to sort the list according to this column. Click again to reverse the order (for example, alphabetical order or increasing/decreasing dates).
– AODocs remembers your choice of columns, their order and the sort criteria. If you close your view and return to it in the same desktop, your customized columns are displayed.
– The standard version of views doesn't allow users to customize columns, so if you switch to the standard version, the default columns chosen by the library administrator are displayed.
Tip: Select Has evaluation error to display a column with boolean switches indicating whether documents have calculation errors in conditional logic. Learn more: Handle errors in conditional logic.
Filter your views
You can use the filters that the library administrator configured for your view.
Create documents from your view
You can create document directly from views. Click the New button.
The options available depend on the type of library and the configuration of your document class (for example, whether templates are defined).
Learn more: Create AODocs documents.
Access attachments directly from a view
In Document Management libraries using Google Drive, views have an Attachments panel that lists the attachments in selected documents. You can perform actions on the attachments directly from the Attachments panel.
Important: The Attachments panel isn't available in Team Folders, Secured Folders or in libraries using Google Cloud Storage or Azure Blob storage. Learn more: Where is my content stored?
1. Open a view in a Document Management library using Google Drive.
2. Select one or more documents.
3. Click the Attachments toggle to show the Attachments panel. All selected documents with their attachments are listed.
4. Depending on the type of attachment, you can:
- Open it in Google Drive – learn more: Use the Google Drive preview
Note: You can't currently open files with the advanced viewer from the Attachments panel. Learn more: Use the advanced viewer in libraries using Google Drive.
- Open it in Microsoft Office – learn more: Work with Microsoft Office file attachments in libraries using Google Drive
- Download it – learn more: Download attachments
- Download all selected attachments — learn more: Download attachments in bulk
- Replace it – learn more: Replace attachments starting from a view in a Document Management library
Note: If you're working with non-Google attachments, we recommend installing UFO. Learn more:
– Open and edit non-Google attachments in AODocs with UFO
– Microsoft Office limitations when editing in AODocs without UFO
Attachments panel in a Document Management library using Google Drive – list mode
5. If required, use the toggle in the Attachments panel to switch to grid mode to display the attachments as thumbnails.
Note: The same actions are available in list mode and grid mode.
Attachments panel in a Document Management library using Google Drive – grid mode
Select documents and folders for single or bulk actions
1. Select one or more checkboxes next to documents or folders.
Alternatively, use the Select all button.
Tip: When you click the Select all button, only the documents and folders currently visible are selected. To select all documents and folders available, scroll to the bottom the list with the Select all button active. Learn more about infinite scroll.
2. Select an action.
- Import a folder from Google Drive
- Open a document or folder in Google Drive from an AODocs view
- Move documents or folders
- Edit custom properties
- Open with Microsoft Office (for Microsoft Office files only) or Open with UFO or AFO (for non-Google files)
- Share documents:
- Set additional Google Drive permissions on attachments:
- Delete documents in AODocs
- Download attachments
- Upload non-Google attachments in libraries using Google Drive
- Export documents or folders from AODocs (administrators only)
- Rename documents
- Rename folders
- Check out, check in or cancel a check out on a document
- Notify users by email
Secured Folder using Google Drive
Document Management library using Google Drive
Export unfiltered views to Bulk Updater
Click the button Export unfiltered views to Bulk Updater.
Bulk Updater opens on the page to create a simple export. The details of your current view are filled in. If any filters are applied in your view, they are ignored. Learn more: Configure and run simple exports.
Note: Your Bulk Updater administrator can restrict usage of the update feature to a specific list of users. If you're not authorized to update, you can only perform simple exports. Learn more: Bulk Updater: Configure and run your export.
Tip: You may need to log in to Bulk Updater and grant the required Google permissions.
Copy the link of your filtered view
Click the button Copy link to view with filters applied. The URL of your view is copied to your clipboard. You can then share the link with colleagues or save it as a bookmark in your browser for easy access.
Scroll documents in your view
The beta version of views has an infinite scroll. Your documents are loaded and displayed progressively as you scroll down. You don't need to click a button to switch to the next page of results!