Attachments are files that are attached to AODocs documents. Attachments are listed in the sidebar of your document.
|Open Microsoft Office attachments from your AODocs document|
|Open Microsoft Office attachments from a view|
|Microsoft Office limitations when editing in AODocs without UFO|
– You're recommended to install UFO as it lets you access your non-Google files more quickly and efficiently - see Microsoft Office limitations. Learn more: What is the Universal File Opener (UFO)?
– In AODocs, the UFO button in the top bar remains unavailable until you open a non-Google file.
Open Microsoft Office attachments from your AODocs document
1. Open a document that has a Microsoft Office file attachment.
2. In the sidebar, select the Open file in Microsoft Office button next to the attachment. Alternatively, in:
- Team Folders and Secured Folders, you can press the Open file in Microsoft Office button in the action bar
- Document Management libraries, you can press the Open file in Microsoft Office button next to Microsoft Office file attachments listed under Attachments, on the Properties tab
3. AODocs opens your document in the corresponding Microsoft Office application.
4. Edit the document and save your changes. Your document is synchronized in AODocs.
5. When you return to AODocs and open the attached file, you can see that your modifications have been saved.
– Two users can't edit the same file at the same time. The file is automatically locked when a user opens it. If another user tries to edit the file, they will only be able to save a local copy or open it in read-only mode.
– If you keep a file open for one hour without saving it, the lock is released and another user can edit the file. You will no longer be able to edit the file again until the other user has finished editing. You can save the file locally to keep any unsaved changes.
– With the UFO installed, you can preview the lock status of Microsoft Office file attachments by hovering over the Open in Microsoft Office/UFO button. Learn more: UFO: View locked files in AODocs.
Open Microsoft Office attachments from a view
1. In a view, select one or more documents that have Microsoft Office file attachments.
2. Press the Edit/view attachments button.
3. The Edit/View attachments pop-up opens, displaying the attachments in each selected document.
4. Press the attachment you want to open.
Tip: Hold Shift and select the document to open it in read-only.
The file is downloaded and opens locally in its software application.
If you're using UFO, an information pop-up is displayed. If the file is too big or takes too long to open, you can cancel from the pop-up.
Note: If you have read-only access to the file in Google Drive or AODocs, you can open the file, but any changes made and saved locally will not be uploaded back to Google Drive or AODocs.
5. Save your changes locally. Your document is synchronized in AODocs.
If you're using UFO, a message indicates that the file is being uploaded back to AODocs.
Microsoft Office limitations when editing in AODocs without UFO
You can open Microsoft Office files on your computer with AODocs only if:
- the file is a Microsoft Office Word, Excel or PowerPoint file with one of these extensions:
- Word document: docx, doc or docm
- PowerPoint document: pptx, ppt or pptm
- Excel document: xlsx, xls or xlsm
- you have Microsoft Office installed on your computer — supported versions are from Office 2010 SP2 up to the most recent version for Windows and macOS
- the name of the document doesn't exceed 250 characters
- the size of the document doesn't exceed 32 MB
Note: If you are using UFO, you must have Microsoft Office installed (any version), but none of the other limitations applies.