Dear AODocs users,
We are pleased to invite you to discover the preview of the Universal File Opener (UFO) extension.
In the near future, UFO will replace the current “Open in Office” feature (in AODocs and the Smartbar extension), and will allow you to open any file format in Google Drive. It will also remove some limitations, such as the 32MB maximum file size.
Note that this version is a technical preview, and we encourage you to provide feedback before we make the feature generally available. You can share the UFO with users from your domain for testing, but it shouldn’t be used to replace the existing “Open In Office” feature yet (either from the Smartbar or the AODocs UI).
What’s the UFO?
The Universal File Opener (or UFO) is a Google Chrome extension. It is currently only available from the Google Drive interface.
Learn more: What is the Universal File Opener (UFO)?
- Open a file directly on your computer in the corresponding application.
- Saved changes made to a document in your local application will sync directly back to Google Drive.
- Compatible with all the non-Google files stored in Google Drive (not compatible with Google Docs, Sheets, Slides and Drawing).
- No file size limitation.
Install the UFO
The UFO extension and its Sync Client can be installed from the Chrome Web Store.
You can find instructions on how to install the Sync Client in our Knowledge Base Article.
We are currently working on the following features:
- Integration in AODocs (UFO will replace the current WebDav)
- Lock a file for editing to avoid conflicting modifications
- Install the extension at the domain level (like it was possible for the WebDav)
UFO will be generally available after these features are released.
If you find have any feedback or issues, you can submit a ticket on our support site.
Thank you in advance and enjoy the beta! We look forward to hearing what you think.