Library administrators working in Document Management libraries using Google Drive can export or copy documents to other Document Management libraries using Google Drive.
– You can't export or copy documents to or from libraries using non-Drive based storage, such as Google Cloud Storage or Azure Blob storage – learn more: What are the differences between the various storage platforms for AODocs?
– Different export options apply to Team Folders and Secured Folders. Learn more: Export documents or folders from Team Folders or Secured Folders.
Automatically generated table of contents
Before you start
Who can export and copy?
As standard in AODocs, only library administrators can export and copy documents to other libraries in which they are administrators.
However, custom configuration flags are available to allow:
- library administrators (or contributors if the flag below is active) to export documents to other libraries in which they are contributor – available at the domain level only
- contributors to copy documents to other libraries in which they are administrator (or contributor if the flag above is active) – available at the domain and library level
Important: These custom configurations can be configured by API only. They are not available in the administration interface. Learn more about how to activate these custom configurations using the API.
If users are prevented from duplicating documents in your document class, library administrators can only export documents or folders (they can't copy) and the export action isn't displayed at all for contributors.
What happens to my document's properties, workflow states, permissions and previous versions?
During the export:
- document properties are exported only if the configuration of the target library corresponds to that of the source library
- the workflow state (if any) of exported documents reverts to the initial state of the workflow
- sharing permissions of exported documents aren't exported
- previous versions aren't exported
Export or copy a document from the document page
Open the More actions menu and select Export. Then finalize the setup and run the export or copy.
Export documents from a view
1. In a view, select one or more documents.
Note: You can copy draft documents from Document Management libraries, but you can't export them.
2. Open the More Actions menu and select Export. Then finalize the setup and run the export or copy.
Finalize the setup and run the export or copy
- Transfer to an AODocs library: the selected documents will be exported to another library
- Copy to an AODocs library: a copy of the documents will be exported to another library and the original documents will stay in the current library
2. Press Next.
3. Select the target library from the drop-down menu.
Tip: If you're working in a library with more than one document class, you can select the current library to change the document class of your document. If your document is in a folder, it stays in the same folder but changes document class.
4. If your target library has more than one document class, you can select the class into which to export your document. A drop-down menu appears when you position your cursor in the Document class field.
5. Press Export.
6. You can press the here button to view the progress of the export.
Details of the job status open in a new tab.
During the export:
- if the document class in the target library has a folder structure, AODocs creates an export folder named Export - [current date and time] containing the selected documents and moves the folder to the target library
- if the document class in the target library doesn't have a folder structure, AODocs moves the exported documents to the root of the target Document Management library
- the administrator who performed the export receives a notification email
Note: Other administrators and super administrators aren't notified of this action and don't have access to the exported documents. However, this operation is recorded in the library audit log.
Email notification sent to the administrator who launched the export
7. When the export is complete, you can:
- Reload the view (if you exported from a view): to refresh the current view
- Go to target library: to open the target Document Management library homepage
- Stay in current library (if you exported from the document page): to return to the current library homepage in AODocs