The Universal File Opener (UFO) is a Google Chrome extension. It enhances the Google Drive and AODocs experience by allowing you to:
- open non-Google files locally on your computer using the corresponding software
- save the changes you made locally back to Google Drive or AODocs
This article explains how to:
|Open non-Google attachments from your document in AODocs|
|Open non-Google attachments from a view in AODocs|
– With AODocs, if you don't have UFO installed, you can open and edit Microsoft file attachments but not other non-Google attachments. However, you are recommended to use UFO for all non-Google attachments as it lets you access your attachments more quickly and efficiently.
– In AODocs, the UFO button in the top bar remains unavailable until you open a non-Google attachment.
Open non-Google attachments from your document in AODocs
1. Open a document that has a non-Google file attachment.
2. Depending on the type of library you're working in, the following options are available:
- in all library types: select the UFO button next to the attachment in the sidebar
- in Team Folders and Secured Folders only: select the UFO button in the toolbar
Tip: When you hover over the UFO button in the toolbar, you can see the lock status of the file. Learn more: View locked files.
- in Document Management libraries only: scroll down to the Attachments section in the Properties tab and use the UFO button next to the attachment title
Opening non-Google attachments in Team Folders and Secured Folders
Opening non-Google attachments in Document Management libraries
3. UFO opens your document in the corresponding application.
4. Edit the attachment and save your changes. Your attachment is synchronized in AODocs.
5. When you return to AODocs and open the attachment, you can see that your modifications have been saved.
– Two users can't edit the same file at the same time. The file is automatically locked when a user opens it. If another user tries to edit the file, they will only be able to save a local copy or open it in read-only mode.
– If you keep a file open for one hour without saving it, the lock is released and another user can edit the file. You will no longer be able to edit the file again until the other user has finished editing. You can save the file locally to keep any unsaved changes.
Open non-Google attachments from a view in AODocs
1. In a view, select one or more documents that have non-Google file attachments.
2. Press the Edit/View attachments button.
3. The Edit/View attachments pop-up opens, displaying the attachments in each selected document.
4. Select the attachment you want to open.
The file is downloaded and opens locally in its software application. An information pop-up is displayed. If the file is too big or takes too long to open, you can cancel from the pop-up.
Note: If you have read-only access to the file in Google Drive or AODocs, you can open the file, but any changes made and saved locally will not be uploaded back to Google Drive or AODocs.
5. Save your changes locally. Your document is synchronized in AODocs. A message indicates that the file is being uploaded back to AODocs.