Dear Smartbar users,
We’re pleased to announce a new version of the Smartbar extension (14.0), planned to be rolled out on 21 October 2019.
Promote G Suite deployment: deactivate the creation of Microsoft Office files at the domain level
We know that our customers are using the Smartbar for different reasons and that the Smartbar is not configurable enough. For example, administrators can’t customize the Smartbar based on their end-users’ needs or their company’s strategy.
In the future, we want to have a more configurable Smartbar where administrators can choose which features are activated.
As a first step (and this has been the most requested feature for several months now), we added the ability to disabled the Create Office files feature.
We’re still working on a dedicated interface where administrators can activate and deactivate Smartbar features, but if you want to disable the Create Office files feature for your entire domain it’s now possible! You just have to fill in this form: Disable the Create Office files feature from the Smartbar before the next release to be sure the Smartbar is updated for all your users.
If you disable this feature, users on your domain will no longer see the Microsoft Office file options in the New menu and won’t be able to create Microsoft Office files with the Smartbar.
The list of configurable features will be increased progressively in upcoming releases.
Smartbar permissions have been updated following Google recommendations
We reduced the required permissions when installing the Smartbar to stay compliant with the updated Google User Data Policy.
Learn more about the permissions required by the Smartbar.
- The extension is now always initialized when working on macOS.
- The upload of .xml, .json and .html files by drag and drop in a Secured Folder now works.
- You will no longer see incorrect actions displayed in Shared Drives.
With the next release we plan to:
- Give administrators access to a dedicated page where they can activate and deactivate Smartbar features on their domain. The list of configurable features will be increased progressively in upcoming releases.
- Make it optional to create a new folder when you import from Gmail into a Team Folder or a Secured Folder. Instead, the files are imported to the library root or to a subfolder.
Version 14.0 will be progressively rolling out on 21 October 2019.