As an administrator, you can create and configure one or more document templates for each document class. Learn more: Create and configure document templates.
This article explains how to manage your document templates. You can:
|Edit the name of a document template|
|Set a template as the default for your document class|
|Edit the visibility of templates|
|Duplicate existing document templates|
|Delete document templates|
Edit the name of a document template
2. Under Document classes, select the class you want to configure.
3. Select Templates.
4. Select Edit name in the More actions menu.
5. Change the name and press Save.
Set a template as the default for your document class
1. Select Make default in the More actions menu.
Note: To cancel the default setting, you can:
– select Unmake default in the More actions menu of the default template
– select Make default in the More actions menu of a different template
Setting a default template has the following impact:
- In all types of library:
- When users use the New button to create a document, the option to create a document without a template is no longer available. Learn more: Create documents from a template.
- Documents created via email without a specified template will be created with the default template. Learn more:
- In Secured Folders and Team Folders: when you create a document from the Google Drive interface or by the option Import or upload an existing file in the AODocs interface, it is created with the default template for the document class.
Note: In Team Folders and Secured Folders, you can't use a template with an attachment as the default template.
Edit the visibility of templates
By default, all document creators can create documents with the template. This means they can:
- see the template in the document creation menu - learn more: Create documents from a template
- create documents from emails with a specified or default template - learn more:
You can restrict the visibility of templates so only the defined document creators can create documents with the template.
1. Select Edit visibility in the More actions menu.
2. In the Edit visibility pop-up, you can select:
- All document creators: all document creators can create documents with the template. This is the default. Learn more: Manage document creators.
- Restrict to role: only document creators in the selected library administrator role or custom role can create documents with the template. Learn more: What are roles?
- Restrict to user / group: only a single document creator (if you enter a user) or the document creators in a Google group (if you enter a Google Group) can create documents with the template.
- Nobody: no document creators can create documents with the template.
Note: You can't change the visibility setting of the default template: it's always visible to all document creators.
Duplicate existing document templates
1. Select Duplicate in the More actions menu.
2. Enter a name for your duplicated template.
Note: The name must be unique within a given document class. You can't have two templates with the same name in the same document class.
3. Press Duplicate.
Note: When you duplicate a template, any attachments aren't duplicated.
Delete document templates
1. Select Delete in the More actions menu.
2. Press Delete in the confirmation pop-up.
Note: You can't delete a template if it is defined as the default.