As a document creator, you can create AODocs documents from scratch in Document Management libraries.
– Document Management libraries can use Google Drive storage or Google Cloud Storage. Learn more: Where is my content stored? There are minor differences in the document creation process (indicated in this article) depending on the type of storage of your library.
– The document creation flow varies according to your library's configuration and where you are in the AODocs interface when you create your document.
Note: You can also:
– Create documents in Team Folders and Secured Folders
– Create documents from a template
– Create documents by copy
– Create new related items (documents)
Automatically generated table of contents
Choose the type of document to create
1. Access your library homepage, a view or a document.
2. Click New.
3. A panel appears with a list of document classes sorted alphabetically. For the required class, select one of the available options:
- Blank (or the document class name if no templates are defined): to create a new document without using a template
– The Blank option is displayed if the document class has templates configured. If there are no templates, only the document class name is displayed.
– There's no Blank option when a default template is defined for the document class. Learn more: Create documents from a template.
- a document template, with or without attachments.
– If there's only one document class in your library with no templates or with a default template, a new document opens in create mode directly.
– If you're in a view specific to a document class, the panel shows the options for the current class only.
– If you're on a document page, you can also create a document by copy or (if relations have been set up) create a new related item.
Creating a document from the library homepage
Make changes to your document in create mode
When you have chosen the type of document to create, an unsaved document opens in create mode. If there are mandatory properties to fill in, a progress bar indicates how many mandatory items (including the document title) have been filled in. The mandatory properties are marked with a red star.
You must fill in the mandatory properties before clicking Save to create your document. You can also:
- choose the folder where the document will be located (if a folder structure is configured in the document class)
- add one or more attachments (only available in libraries using Google Drive storage, not libraries using Google Cloud storage)
- add one or more relations (if configured in your document class)
- add a document description
1. Fill in the title and any mandatory properties. Learn more: Edit custom properties.
Note: If calculated titles are configured for the document class, you can't edit the Document title field. A title is automatically calculated when you save your document. Learn more: Create formulas for calculated titles.
2. If the document class in your Document Management library has a folder structure, you can change the folder where your document will be located.
The default folder is:
- the library root if you created the document from the library homepage or from a view without a folder structure
- the current folder if you created the document from a view with a folder structure
Click the Choose folder button. In the Folder selection dialog, select the required folder and click Select Folder.
Tip: You can search for folders and create new folders in your folder structure.
3. If required, attach one or more files to the document.
For libraries using Google Drive storage, you can:
- Attach a file from your Google Drive or device
- Upload and convert Microsoft Office file from your device – the file will be converted to the corresponding Google format
- Encrypt and upload files using Virtru
- Create a new Google file (Docs, Sheets or Slides)
For libraries using Google Cloud Storage, you can attach a file from your device.
Learn more: Manage attachments in Document Management libraries.
Note: In Document Management libraries, you can create documents with no attachments, one attachment or several attachments.
Tip: When you've saved (created) your document, if you're in a library using Google Drive storage, you can add attachments by drag and drop directly into the Properties tab.
4. If relations have been set up by a library administrator, you can click the Add related items button and add one or more relations. Learn more: Create new related items.
5. If required, add a description to your document. The rich text field can include:
- embedded external content with iframes
The description is displayed in the Properties tab of the document. The text in the description is searchable by the AODocs search bar.
– The description field may be mandatory if the field permissions are managed by workflow states.
– You can only insert images in the description after saving your document.
6. Click the Save button to create your document.
Note: You can't save your document:
– without filling in all mandatory fields
– if some property values are outdated or incorrect
Learn more: What if you can't save your document?
Unsaved document in create mode in a Document Management library