Check-out is an action that creates a draft version of an AODocs document. A subset of users can update the draft. All users who had access to the document before the check-out can access the main version of the document, in read-only.
When a check-out is manual, the draft is accessible only to the user who performs the check-out. This user can then authorize other users to access the draft.
Check-in is an action that converts the draft to a new version of the document. The main version becomes a previous version.
Learn more: What is check-out / check-in?
Important: Check-out / check-in can be manual or automated:
– If a check-out was triggered manually, the check-in must be manual.
– If a check-out was triggered through a workflow, the check-in must happen through a workflow transition. Learn more: Workflow example with version control.
This article explains how to manually check in a document that you have previously checked out and edited. The draft version becomes a new version of the document.
– Alternatively, you can cancel the check-out. This discards the draft and restores the main version.
– Only users with edit access to the draft version can check it in or cancel the check-out.
– You can't delete a document that is checked out. First check in the document or cancel the check-out.
1. There are several ways to check in a document. In the draft document:
- in the Properties tab, click the Check in button in the banner
- in any tab, select Check in in the More actions menu
- in the Versions tab, click the Check in button
Note: The Versions tab may not be visible if a library administrator has restricted its visibility. Learn more: Restrict who can see the list of previous versions.
- in a view select a document and then select Check in in the More actions menu
2. In the Check the document in dialog, enter:
- a name for the version
- a description for the version, if required
Note: You can’t use the same name as another version of the document.
The previous main version of the document is still accessible from Versions in the left panel. Learn more: Manage document versions in AODocs libraries.