Check-out is an action that creates a draft version of an AODocs document. A subset of users can update the draft. All users who had access to the document before the check-out can access the main version of the document, in read-only.
When a check-out is manual, the draft is accessible only to the user who performs the check-out. This user can then authorize other users to access the draft.
Check-in is an action that converts the draft to a new version of the document. The main version becomes a previous version.
Learn more: What is check-out / check-in?
Important: Check-out / check-in can be manual or automated:
– If a check-out was triggered manually, the check-in must be manual.
– If a check-out was triggered through a workflow, the check-in must happen through a workflow transition. Learn more: Workflow example with version control.
This article explains how to use the manual check-out feature:
|Check out a document|
|View the draft version of a document|
|View the main version of a document|
|Share the draft version with other users|
Check out a document
In your document, there are two ways to create a draft version:
- in the Versions tab, press the Check-out button
- in any tab, select Check-out in the More actions menu
Note: The Versions tab may not be visible if a library administrator has restricted its visibility. Learn more: Restrict who can see the list of previous versions.
A new draft version of the document is created. By default, only the user who created the draft and library administrators can view and edit it. As the creator of the draft, you can share the draft version with other users if you want them to view or edit it.
View the draft version of a document
In the list of documents, users who have access to the draft version of the document can see a lock icon to the left of the document title. Users who don't have access to the draft version don't see the lock icon.
– If you have access to the draft, the view displays the properties and workflow state of the draft (if there's a workflow defined).
– If you don't have access to the draft, the view displays the properties and workflow state of the main version (if there's a workflow defined).
When you open the draft version of the document, you can see:
- an orange Draft version tag next to the name of the draft version
- a check-out banner containing:
- text indicating when the document was checked out and who checked out the document
- a link to the main version of the document
- a Discard draft button
- a Check-in button
- a workflow banner (if there's a workflow defined), indicating that workflow actions are unavailable because the document was checked out manually — press More details
View the main version of a document
Users who have access to the draft version of a document can press the link to the main version from the check-out banner in the draft version.
The main version of the document:
- has the same content as before the check-out
- has a banner indicating that a draft version exists — press More details to display when the document was checked out and who checked out the document
- is read-only while the draft version exists
Note: Users who don't have access to the draft version see the main version when they open the document. The banner and tag aren't displayed.
Share the draft version with other users
Learn more: Prevent contributors from sharing documents.
Important: Changing the permissions in the draft version affects only the draft version. The main version is not affected by these permissions changes.
1. Press the Edit permissions button in the More actions menu. The Document permissions pop-up opens.
2. Enter the name of a person or a group.
3. Press Add.
4. Select the required permissions for the person or group you added.
5. Press Save.