Check-out is an action that creates a draft version of an AODocs document. A subset of users can update the draft. All users who had access to the document before the check-out can access the main version of the document, in read-only.
When a check-out is manual, the draft is accessible only to the user who performs the check-out. This user can then authorize other users to access the draft.
Check-in is an action that converts the draft to a new version of the document. The main version becomes a previous version.
Learn more: What is check-out / check-in?
The check-out / check-in feature can be either manual or automated through a workflow.
As a library administrator, you can set up how your contributors can use the manual check-out / check-in feature in Secured Folders and Document Management libraries. You can force contributors to use the check-out / check-in feature every time they modify a document:
- To update a document, contributors must check-out the document and update the draft version of the document.
- To display their update to a wider audience, contributors must check-in the document.
This option is managed at the document class level.
Note: This option isn't available in Team Folders.
To keep documents read-only when not checked-out:
1. Access the library administration.
2. Select Document classes.
3. Press the name of the document class you want to configure or select Configure document class in the More actions menu. The document class configuration page opens.
4. Select the Advanced tab.
5. Select Documents are read only when not checked out.
6. Save your changes.