The Universal File Opener (UFO) is a Google Chrome extension. It enhances the Google Drive and AODocs experience by allowing you to:
- open non-Google files locally on your computer using the corresponding software
- save the changes you made locally back to Google Drive or AODocs
From Google Drive, you can open and edit Microsoft Office files in the Google editor. Learn more: Work with Microsoft Office files.
If you have UFO installed, when you do open a Microsoft Office file, UFO checks if the file is:
- shared with one or more other users
- locked by another UFO user
There are three possible scenarios:
- If the file is shared with one or more other users but isn't locked by another UFO user, a banner appears to recommend locking the file manually with UFO. Learn more: Manage locked files.
- If the file is shared with one or more other users and is also currently locked by another UFO user, a banner appears to indicate that the file is locked and your changes may be lost.
- If the file is not shared, no banner appears as there is no risk of generating editing conflicts.