The AODocs mobile app needs a set of Google Workspace authorizations and some device permissions to work.
This article explains why they are necessary and when they are requested.
|Google Workspace authorizations|
|Google Drive scope|
|Storage / Photos|
Google Workspace authorizations
To use the AODocs mobile app, you first need to sign in with your Google Account. The app needs access to your Google Workspace data so it can provide features relating to this data.
Note about minimum scopes:
The app uses the principle of incremental authorization as much as possible, which means that it initially requests only the scopes required to start the app, then requests additional scopes as new authorizations are required, in a context that explains the reason for the request:
– On Android, the app initially requires only basic sign-in scopes, which don't usually require authorization: email and profile. When you sign in, you are therefore not requested to grant any authorizations.
– On iOS, due to technical issues (google_sign_in issue #86660), it isn’t yet possible to apply the incremental authorization principle. As a result, all necessary scopes, email, profile, and drive.file are requested at sign-in for now.
Google Drive scope
To use some features, like the ability to attach new files to AODocs documents in your Document Management libraries, the mobile app needs your permission to interact with your Google Drive (for example, to let the app upload a file you selected on your device to your Google Drive before importing it to AODocs).
The app asks you to grant the minimum Google Drive authorization it needs: the drive.file scope. This lets the app view and manage the Google Drive files and folders that you have opened with the AODocs mobile app.
On Android, this permission is requested when you press the Add attachment button on the document page. Two successive messages appear, explaining why this authorization is needed. Press Allow twice.
On iOS, the Google Drive authorization is requested at sign-in. A message appears explaining that this authorization is needed so the app can upload files to your Google Drive when you use the Add attachment feature. Press I get it and then Continue.
Note: This message appears only once on your device, even if you switch accounts and sign in to the app using a different account.
Mobile apps can use various capabilities or information on your device, such as your camera or your location.
Like many apps, the AODocs app asks for permission to use some of your device capabilities, which you can allow or deny. Depending on the feature you want to use and on your device OS and version, you can:
- allow full access to a capability
- allow partial access
- deny access once
- deny access permanently
You can also change app permissions at any time in your device settings.
Below are the permissions the AODocs mobile app requests when you try to use certain features.
The AODocs mobile app needs permission to access your device's camera so you can take pictures, which you can then attach to existing documents in your Document Management libraries.
1. Press the Add attachment button on the document page, then press Take a picture in the bottom panel.
2. For Android, select While using the app or Only this time.
For iOS, press OK.
What happens if I deny the permission to access the camera?
If you deny AODocs permission to access the camera, when you try to use the Take a picture feature again, you will either see:
- the above permission message again
- another message inviting you to go to the app settings to allow the mobile app to use your camera
Note: The sequence of messages and access to your settings vary depending on your device OS and version, and on whether you permanently or temporarily denied the permission.
Press Open settings. Your device settings open:
- for Android, select Permissions on the AODocs app info page – this is where where you can manage the app permissions
- for iOS, select Allow
Learn more about how to change app permissions on your device:
After granting this permission, you are also requested to grant permission to access storage on your device (if you haven't done so already).
Storage / Photos
The AODocs mobile app needs to access photos and media on your device so you can attach images stored on your device to your AODocs document.
You are asked for this permission after you:
- grant the permission to access the camera on your device
- select Choose images on the document page in the mobile app
For Android, select Allow.
For iOS, we strongly recommend selecting Allow access to all photos.
Important note for iOS users:
– If you choose Select photos, only the photos you select will be available to attach to the current AODocs document and all other AODocs documents.
– In addition, after choosing Select photos, if you press Cancel or if you press Select without selecting a photo, none of your photos will be accessible to the app, so you won't be able to add attachments to any of your AODocs documents.
Learn more about how to allow grant access to all photos if you accidentally restricted access to your photos.
What happens if I deny permission to access photos and media?
If you deny the permission to access photos and media on your device, when you try to use the feature again, you will either see:
- the above permission message again
- another message inviting you to go to the app settings to allow the mobile app to use access your photos
If you accidentally restricted access to some (or all) of your photos and you now want to add other photos to your AODocs documents, go to your device settings.
1. Select Apps & Notifications.
2. Select AODocs.
3. Under Allow AODocs to access, press Photos.
4. Change the setting from Selected photos to All Photos.