A category is a type of custom property in an AODocs document. Learn more: What are categories?
A category is composed of a set of values, for example, a list of electronic products or countries. Users can select from the predefined category values in a drop-down list when a document is in edit mode.
Important: Categories are configured at the library level and can be assigned to one or more category properties in the same document class or in different document classes.
Administrators can create and configure categories. Category values managers can configure categories once they've been created by an administrator. Learn more: What are roles?
This article explains how to:
Automatically generated table of contents
Define values for categories
1. Access the library administration.
2. Under Categories, select Define values for the category to which you want to add values.
3. Select Add new value and enter the category values in the first column. You can add a short name for a category value in the second column.
– Values are displayed in the document page (view mode) where users assign values to categories.
– Short names are displayed in views.
- You can configure hierarchical sublevels for your category values
- If you have a long list of values to define (with or without a hierarchy), you can add your list of sublevels using a CSV file
4. Select the edit button to rename values or their short names.
5. To remove values:
- Select Delete to permanently delete them.
Important: If a value is assigned to a document (on current or previous versions) you can't delete it. In this situation, we recommend setting the value as outdated.
- Check the Outdated checkbox to keep a specific value for historical reasons but prevent contributors from assigning this value on documents.
– Outdated values aren't available for selection in the list of values for a category.
– Outdated values are still displayed in documents where they were previously assigned and users can still save the document.
Search for category values
If your category level contains a long list of values, you can run a search.
1. Open a category level.
2. Enter a search value in the search box and click Search.
The results matching your search appear.
Note: The search applies to the current category level.
3. Click Reset to return to the original list.
Note: AODocs has recommended limits for the number of values defined in a category.