When you open a file in the Google Drive file preview, you can access Smartbar features.
|Access the Smartbar menu in the file preview|
|Options available in the Smartbar menu in the file preview|
Access the Smartbar menu in the file preview
The Smartbar menu is available when you open the file preview in the current tab or in a new tab.
Open the file preview in the current tab
To open the file preview in the current tab:
- double-click a file in Google Drive (non-Google files only)
- select a file in Google Drive and press the Preview button in the toolbar
- select a file in Google Drive and press p on your keyboard
Open the file preview a new tab
To open the file preview in a new tab:
- in a Google Drive file preview, open the More actions menu and select Open in new window
- in the AODocs interface, select a non-Google attachment of a document, open the More Actions menu and select Open in a new tab.
Tip: You can also use the Pop-out button in the top right of the screen.
The Smartbar menu in the Google Drive file preview is shown below:
The Smartbar menu is not available in the Google Drive file preview:
- from Gmail — the Smartbar menu isn't displayed when you press the thumbnail of a file or when you access a file via its Gmail file preview URL
- if you select more than one file in Google Drive — the Smartbar menu displays No action available because it doesn't make sense to preview two files at once
– If you use the navigation buttons in the Google Drive file preview, the Smartbar menu is no longer accessible.
– You can access the file preview and use the Smartbar features directly from grid mode in Google Drive. Learn more: Switch from grid view to list view in Google Drive.
Options available in the Smartbar menu in the file preview
The Smartbar menu in Google Drive file preview provides access to the following features:
- Open file: This option is available for all non-Google files.
- Import into AODocs: This option is available only if the file isn't in an AODocs library and you're the owner of the file or a super administrator.
- Properties: This option is available only for documents that are in an AODocs library. In addition, your administrator must have configured one or more custom properties or one or more workflows