To work on a Microsoft Office document in AODocs, first open the AODocs document in which the file is attached. In the attachments section, select the document to edit (1) and click on the dedicated button “Open in MS Word” or “Open in MS Excel” or “Open in PowerPoint” (2).
Clicking on the “Open in MS Excel” button to open an attached file in Microsoft Office Excel
AODocs will then launch the corresponding Microsoft Office application and open your document in it. You can then change the document using 100% of the Microsoft Office features. Every time you click on “Save” (3) your document will be synchronized in AODocs.
Editing a document from AODocs in Microsoft Excel
When you come back to AODocs and open the attached file in preview, you can see that your modifications have been saved in AODocs.
Two users can't edit the same file at the same time. The file is automatically locked when opened by the first user. If another user tries to edit the file, they will only be able to save a local copy (4) or open it in read-only mode (5).
AODocs prevents concurrent modifications on Microsoft Office files
Moreover, after one hour without saving an open file you won’t be able to save it back to AODocs anymore. Only local saving will be possible and the document will be unlocked for other users.
Note that opening Microsoft Office documents on your computer only works if:
- it is a Microsoft Office Word, Excel or PowerPoint, here is the list of extensions supported:
- Word document: docx, doc and docm
- PowerPoint document: pptx, ppt and pptm
- Excel document: xlsx, xls and xlsm
- you have Microsoft Office installed on your computer. The supported versions; are from 2003 up to the most recent 2015 for Windows and Mac OS;
- you are using Google Chrome with the latest version of the AODocs Smartbar extension the AODocs WebDAV client is installed on your computer (Learn more here: Install the AODocs Smartbar);
- the name of the document does not exceed 250 characters;
- the size of the document does not exceed 32 MB.