When a document workflow state changes (for example, because a user has performed a workflow action, or because a time-based condition has been triggered), AODocs can send notifications to certain users, such as the document’s creator or selected users (notification emails) and also to the users responsible for validating the document in the new workflow state (action emails).
Example of an “action email” send to document validators : the user has to take action
Example of an “notification email” : the user is simply informed on the workflow state
You can customize these emails by using the “Notifications” button in the workflow state section (1).
Accessing “Notifications” section of the workflow state
In the notifications pop-up, you can set the recipients of the emails (2) and the content of the emails. Learn more here: Customize workflow emails
For each workflow state, there are 2 different emails:
- the “action email” (3) is sent to the users who have the permission to perform workflow actions in the state. It will be sent from: email@example.com.
- the “notification email” (4) is sent to other users, who do not have the permission to perform workflow actions but still would like to be informed about the progress of the document (for example, the document creator who wants to be notified when his/her document is validated). It will also be sent from: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The “Recipients” tab (2) allows to configure the list of users who will be notified:
- the first checkbox (5) (“Notify people who need to validate the document”) selects the list of people who can perform workflow actions in the workflow state. This list is computed by listing all the members of all the roles that are used in the workflow state’s transitions. For example, if the workflow state defines a transition that can be performed by a role named “Validator”, and another transition that can be performed by the “Administrators” role, then the email will be sent to all the members of the “Validator” role and all the members of the “Administrators” role. The users selected by this checkbox will receive the “action email" (3) - Learn more here: Customize workflow emails.
- the second checkbox (6) (“Notify the document creator”) selects the creator of the document. If this checkbox is checked, then the document creator will receive the “notification email” (4) - Learn more here: Customize workflow emails.
- the third checkbox (6) (“Notify other users”) allows administrators to send notifications to other users and groups. If the checkbox is checked, all the users and groups in the list will receive the “notification email” (4) - Learn more here: Customize workflow emails.
Customizing your notification email for a workflow state
You can also use the “Notify other users” checkbox to notify all the users having access to the document (7).
If you select the option "The users listed below" (7), then you can select to notify users, google groups, roles or person properties defined on the document class associated to the workflow.
Notifying users of a change of state for a document