AODocs can transform an email sent to a specific email address into an AODocs document.
To create an AODocs document from an email, an inbound email address must first be configured by library administrators.
Learn more here: Configure emails to documents
Once the inbound email address has been configured, any email sent to this address by a user who can create documents in the library, will be converted into an AODocs document and added to the library. You can use any email client (GMail or other) or any application (printer, ticketing tools, …) to send the emails.
The “From” address of the email is used to determine whether the document can be created or not. AODocs will verify if the email sender has the permission to create documents, and if not, will reply to the sender with an email containing an error message.
"Permission denied" reply email
The conversion process transforming the incoming email into an AODocs document is described below:
- The destination address (1) determines which inbound address will be used by AODocs to convert the incoming email and the default properties and attachments associated with this inbound address will be applied to the converted document
- The "from" becomes the document creator
- The subject (2) becomes the title of the AODocs document
- The body of the email (3) become the rich text description of the AODocs document. HTML formatting in the email body will be preserved in the AODocs document
- Files attached (4) to the email are saved to Google Drive and attached to the AODocs document.
Sending an email to a preconfigured address to automatically convert an email into an AODocs document
When the conversion is successful, AODocs replies with an email indicating that the message was converted into a document and providing a link to the new document.
Confirmation email sent by AODocs when the conversion is successful
The subject of the email becomes the title of the document (5).
If the library administrator has associated a document template with the configuration of the inbound email address, the document created in AODocs will have the default properties (6) and the default attachment(s) (7) of the template.
The files attached to the email will be attached to the document (8).
The content of the email will be imported in the “Description” of your document (9).
- If the document class has a default document template and the email is not associated with a template, then the new document is created using the default documents template. The properties are copied and the attachments are the one from the template and the email.
- The actual limit for emails sent to AODocs is 24 MB for the total size of the email, including the email body and all attachments.
Document created from the email in AODocs