With the AODocs Smartbar, your can create Microsoft Office documents (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) directly from the Google Drive interface. Simply click on “NEW” (1), and select the type of Microsoft Office document you want to create (2).
Learn more here: Presentation of the AODocs Smartbar
Creating Microsoft Office documents from Google Drive with the AODocs Smartbar
A window will pop-up. Enter the name of your new document (3) and click on “Create” (4).
Creating a Microsoft Office document window
AODocs will then update you on the status of the document creation (5). Once created, the document will be listed in Google Drive (6).
Once created, the new Office document is listed in Google Drive
And it will open automatically in the dedicated Office application (Excel in our example bellow)
Once created, the new Office document is automatically opened in the dedicated Office application
Two users cannot edit the same file at the same time. The file is automatically locked when opened by the first user. If another user tries to edit the file, they will only be able to save a local copy (7) or open it in read-only mode (8).
Message from Microsoft Office stating that the file is locked
Limitations of Microsoft Office editing from AODocs
Note that opening Microsoft Office documents on your computer only works if:
- it is a Microsoft Office Word, Excel or PowerPoint, here is the list of extensions supported:
- Word document: docx, doc and docm
- PowerPoint document: pptx, ppt and pptm
- Excel document: xlsx, xls and xlsm
- you have Microsoft Office installed on your computer. The supported versions are from 2007 up to the most recent 2015 for Windows and Mac OS;
- you are using Google Chrome with the latest version of the AODocs Smartbar extension and the AODocs WebDAV client is installed on your computer;
Learn more here: Install the AODocs Smartbar, Install the AODocs WebDAV client.
- the name of the document does not exceed 250 characters;
- the size of the document does not exceed 32 MB.