To access your Secured Folder administration settings, open your Secured Folder in Google Drive, click on the “Settings” (1) icon and then click on “Secured Folder” (2). This menu is available only if you have installed the AODocs Smartbar and you are an administrator of the AODocs Secured Folder.
Accessing the Secured Folder settings from Drive
The Secured Folder settings pop-up has three sections:
Under the General settings (1) you can:
- Edit the name of the Secured Folder (2)
- Push the Secured Folder to the My Drive folder of end users who have access to it (3).
Learn more here: Push AODocs Team Folder or Secured Folder to User's My Drive
- Manage the library trash retention period (4)
- Access the Secured Folder’s activity report in the AODocs interface (5).
Learn more here: View the audit log
General Settings in Secured Folders
In the Security section (1) you can:
- Select who can share files and folders (2):
- if the checkbox is checked, only administrators are authorized to modify the sharing permissions of files and folders in the Secured Folder,
- if the checkbox is not checked, all users in the library with edit permissions are authorized to modify the sharing permissions of files and folders in the Secured Folder from the AODocs interface
- Select who can delete documents or folders in the Secured Folder (3):
- if the checkbox is checked, only administrators are authorized to delete files or folders,
- if the checkbox is not checked, all users in the library are authorized to delete files or folders.
Learn more here: Delete documents and folders
- Select who can modify the folder structure (4):
- if the checkbox is checked, only administrators are authorized to create subfolders, rename folders, or move folders in the Secured Folder
- if the checkbox is not checked, all users in the library with edit permissions are authorized to create subfolders, rename folders, or move folders in the Secured Folder
Security setting in Secured Folders
Note: In a Secured Folder library, administrators can also prevent users from deleting, renaming or creating files and folders at the root folder level. Learn more here: Restricted contributors permissions in Secured Folders
The “User Permissions” (1) section allows you to configure the list of users and groups who have access to the Secured Folder.
To add a new user or group, type in the user or group name in the text box (2) and then select the permission level you want to grant them (3). The available permission levels are:
- Can view: users can only view the documents but cannot make any change
- Can edit: users can view and edit documents
- Is administrator: users can view and edit documents and have full administrator privileges, including the right to modify the Secured Folder settings, and to add/remove other administrators
Then click on "Add" to add the specified user or group (4).
To remove existing permissions, use the “X” button of the user or group you want to remove (5).
By default, the Secured Folder permissions are automatically applied to all the subfolders and documents contained in the Secured Folder. However it is possible to allow subfolders and individual documents to have their own specific permissions by checking the checkbox (6).
Adding new users to Secured Folders
Note: If you check the box (6), it makes the library have "Flexible permissions". If you uncheck the box (6), it makes the library have "Uniform permissions".
Click on “Change…” (7) under "Done" (8) to set the permission mode of the library. Then you can set:
- Only specified users have access to the library
- All users in the domain have
- View access to the library All users in the domain have Edit access to the library
Click on “Done” (8) after you make the changes to save the new settings for the Secured Folder.
Learn more here: Permissions in AODocs overview
Applying Library level permissions in Secured Folders