Bulk Updater is a web application that lets you update in bulk the properties (also called metadata) of your AODocs documents. All users can use the export feature in Bulk Updater; only library administrators and super administrators can use the update feature.
It is also possible to restrict usage of the update feature to a specific list of users, others will only be able to perform simple exports.
This article explains how to configure and run the export of your AODocs library's properties. You can configure a simple export or an advanced export.
Automatically generated table of contents
Configure and run simple exports
2. In Bulk Updater, select the Create simple tab.
3. Use the drop-down lists to select a domain and a library.
Note: The Domain and Library fields are mandatory to perform an export.
4. To export a subset of your documents, select a document class and/or a view.
– Library administrators can select any of the options listed in the table below.
– End users can (and must) select only a view.
If you select...
|No document class, no view||
Bulk Updater exports, for all documents in all the classes in your library:
|Only a document class||
Bulk Updater exports, for all documents in the selected class:
|Only a view||
Bulk Updater exports, for all the documents defined in the view:
|Both a document class and a view||
Bulk Updater exports, for all the documents in the selected class:
Note: The document class and view must be of the same type.
5. If required, select Include relations under Additional info. All documents related to the documents you export are included in the spreadsheet. Learn more: Edit the properties of your AODocs documents in your spreadsheet.
6. If required, select Export as Awesome Table under Custom export. You can use your spreadsheet to create an Awesome Table.
Note: This option is available only in export mode. You can't export as an Awesome Table in update mode.
7. If required, define an export name so you can easily identify it in the list of exports.
8. If required, set up a custom recipient for emails.
Tip: If you're using delegated spreadsheets with an automatic refresh and the person you delegated spreadsheet ownership to leaves the company, no one will receive notifications of the refresh actions. You may want to set up a custom recipient (usually a group) different from the delegated owner to ensure email notifications are always received.
9. If required, press Count documents. A pop-up indicates how many lines your spreadsheet will contain (one line per document).
10. Press Export.
Note: You can't use your spreadsheet to run updates if you use the simple export page.
Configure and run advanced exports
1. Carry out steps 1 to 9 from the simple export, but select the Create advanced tab.
2. If required, select one or both filters, to exclude from your export:
- documents at the root folder of the library
- documents without attachments
Note: The filter Skip documents without attachments is available only if you selected a document class.
3. If required, select specific system and custom properties to export.
The table above indicates what Bulk Update exports by default, according to the options you selected at the beginning of the configuration (document class, view, etc.).
The table below indicates what happens when you select specific properties, according to the options you selected.
If you selected...
No class, no view
Only a document class
Select specific properties to export instead of the default
Only a view
Both a document class and a view
Select specific properties to export in addition to the default
– The essential system property Document ID is always included at the end of the spreadsheet, regardless of whether you select it. Learn more: Edit the properties of your AODocs documents in your spreadsheet.
– The list of properties available in the drop-down menu reflects the choice you made at the beginning of the configuration. For example, if you selected a document class, only the properties in the selected document class are listed.
4. If required, enter a search query to restrict the documents to export. Learn more: Advanced search operators.
Note: You can apply a query only if you selected a view or a document class.
5. You can apply the following splitters:
- One line per version: generates as many lines as each document has versions
- One line per attachment: generates as many lines as each document has attachments
Important: Splitters are available only when the update feature is disabled because splitting can result in multiple lines for a given document. Make sure the Only export toggle is selected if you want to use the splitters.
Note: The splitter One line per relation is not currently available.
6. Select one of the options for the toggle button:
- Update enabled: to export, then update your spreadsheet and reimport back into AODocs
- Only export: to export without updating your spreadsheet
7. Press Export.
After running the export
Notes about export speed:
- Library or class without a query: about 2,000 documents per minute
- Class with a query or view with fewer than 10,000 documents: about 1,000 documents per minute
- Class with a query or view with more than 10,000 documents: about 500 documents per minute
When the export is complete, you're redirected to the Recent tab.
If you selected Update enabled when you ran your advanced export, you can now edit the properties of your AODocs documents in your spreadsheet.
Learn more about the contents of the spreadsheet.
At the end of the export, you receive an email from Bulk Updater (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The email has a link to the Google spreadsheet containing your exported properties.