Attachments are files stored in Google Drive owned by the storage account of the library. They are elements of the AODocs document.
In the AODocs interface, you can:
|Attach a file|
|Preview an existing file|
|Upload a file|
|Download a file|
|Delete or Remove an attachment|
Attach a file to an AODocs document
1. From the document interface, click on the “+” button in the AODocs sidebar.
You can select to:
- Attach an existing file from your Google Drive or your local computer,
- Upload and convert, a Microsoft Office files from your local computer. The Office files will be converted in the corresponding Google format,
- Create a new Google Doc, Sheet or Slide
2. If you choose “Attach”, the Google Drive picker will open where you can either drag and drop files directly or select them from your computer. You can also attach your existing files stored in your Google Drive.
Notes: The Google Drive picker only displays the files you are the owner of.
3. Select one or more files and click on “Select”.
4. If you click on “Upload and Convert”, your computer explorer opens. Choose one or several Office files to upload.
They are automatically converted into the corresponding Google file format and attached to the document.
5. If you click on “Create”, a pop-up opens. Select the type of file to create: Google Docs, Google Sheets or Google Slides. Enter the name of your new file and click on Create.
6. The newly attached file to the AODocs document becomes visible in the AODocs Sidebar.
- When uploading an existing file from your computer, the file is first uploaded in your Google Drive (you are the owner) and then the ownership of the file is transferred to the storage account of the library.
- When creating a new Google file, the file is first created in your Google Drive (you are the owner) and then the ownership of the file is transferred to the storage account of the library.
Preview an attached file
1. From the document interface, in the AODocs sidebar, select the file you want to preview.
2. The file opens in the AODOcs document main page.
For Google native files, the embedded application opens (Google Docs, Sheets, Slides).
For other files, a preview of the file opens.
Note: Preview is only available for the file formats supported by Google Drive preview.
Upload new version of attached file
From the Actions menu of the attachment, you can also “Upload” a new version of the same attachment.
You will have the choice to keep the current version or to overwrite it.
Learn more here: Upload new versions of attached files
Download an attachment
1. To download the attachment of an AODocs document, click on its Actions menu.
2. Click on the “Download Attachment.
3. If the file is not a native Google file (Docs, Sheets, Slides), the file is immediately downloaded. Otherwise, the following pop-up will appears. Select the format of the file you want to download it into.
4. The file is then downloaded on your computer.
Delete or Remove an attachment
Important: Valid only for Document Management Libraries.
1. Click on “Edit the document”.
2. Scroll down to the Attachments section.
3. Click on the red trash on the attachment you want to delete.
4. Click on the Save button.
Note: Before saving, you can cancel your action by clicking the red backward arrow. Once you have deleted the attachment of the document, they can not be restored.