With the AODocs Smartbar installed, you can import your emails and their attachments from your Gmail interface into your Document Management libraries. The Import into AODocs feature creates a new folder in your selected library and saves your emails as AODocs documents in the new folder.
During the import, you can select a destination parent folder, manage the import of your email body, and select the attachments and inline images you want to keep.
- The Import into AODocs button is available only if you can create a document in an AODocs library or if you have access to one or more Document Management libraries.
- The Import into AODocs feature isn't available in delegated accounts. If you select the Import into AODocs button in a delegated account, a message appears to indicate that the operation must be run by the owner of the email account.
|Import an email|
|Access the new document in your library from the AODocs interface|
Import an email
1. Open the email to import.
2. Press the Import into AODocs button.
3. The Email import into AODocs pop-up opens. There are two ways to select the destination library.
- Choose a Document Management library from the most recent locations you exported to
- Choose a Document Management library from the library picker
Tip: You can use the library picker like a search field to find a library by its name.
- You only have access to the Document Management libraries in which you can create documents.
- In Document Management libraries, you can import your emails only into the root folder. The Folder name field is always greyed out
Note: Hover over a library name in the drop-down list, then press the star button to add it as a favorite. Your favorite libraries are synchronized between AODocs and the Smartbar, so all your favorite libraries are listed in the library picker drop-down list in Gmail. Learn more: Manage your favorite libraries.
When you've selected your library, a message is displayed in the pop-up indicating that a new document will be created at the root of your Document Management library. The email subject becomes the name of your new document.
4. Press Next.
5. Define whether to import the body of your email. Select one of these options:
- Include as AODocs document's description: the email body becomes the description of your new document with information about the recipient, the sender and the date of receipt
- Include as a Google document attachment: the email body becomes an attachment of the document and the document description remains empty
- Exclude the body: the email body is excluded and the document description remains empty
6. Press Next.
7. If required, deselect any attachments you want to exclude from the import.
By default, all attachments are selected for import. The selected email attachments become attachments of the new document.
8. Press Import. A confirmation message is displayed with a link to your new folder.
- Your import choices are saved until you reload your Gmail page or leave it. If you want to import another email to AODocs, the previous options are automatically selected.
- If you import a conversation, a folder is created with the content of all previous emails and with all inline images included in these emails. Only the attachments of the selected email are imported; attachments in previous emails aren't imported.
- The limit for emails sent to AODocs is 24 MB for the total size of the email, including the email body and all attachments.
Access the new document in your library from the AODocs interface
You can now access your newly created document from the AODocs interface.