AODocs can transform an email sent to a specific email address into an AODocs document.
To create an AODocs document from an email, an inbound email address must first be configured by library administrators.
Learn more here: Configure emails to documents
Once the inbound email address has been configured, any email sent to this address by a library contributor, will be converted into an AODocs document and added to the library. You can use any email client (Gmail or other) or any application (printer, ticketing tools, …) to send the emails.
The “From” address of the email is used to determine whether the document can be created or not. AODocs will verify if the email sender has the permission to create documents, and if not, will reply to the sender with an email containing an error message.
"Permission denied" reply email
The conversion process transforming the incoming email into an AODocs document is described below:
- The destination address (1) determines which inbound address will be used by AODocs to convert the incoming email and the default properties associated with this inbound address will be applied to the converted document
- The "from" becomes the document creator
- The subject (2) and the body of the email (3) become the rich text description of the AODocs document. HTML formatting in the email body will be preserved in the AODocs document
- File attached (4) to the email are saved to Google Drive and attached to the AODocs document
- The name of the attached file become the title of the AODocs document
Sending an email to a preconfigured address to automatically convert an email into an AODocs document
When the conversion is successful, AODocs replies with an email indicating that the message was converted into a document and providing a link to the new document.
Confirmation email sent by AODocs when the conversion is successful
The title of the document (5) is the name of the attachment.
If the library administrator has associated a document template with the configuration of the inbound email address, the document created in AODocs will have the default properties of the template and the default folder (6).
The files attached to the email will be attached to the document (7).
The content of the email will be imported in the “Description” of your document (8).
- The name of the email attachment becomes the title of the AODocs document.
- The actual limit for emails sent to AODocs is 24 MB for the total size of the email, including the email body and all attachments.
Document created from the email in AODocs
If the email sent does not contain any attachment, the creation of the AODocs document will fail and you will receive an error message.
Error message - Email without attachment
If the email send contains several attachments, AODocs will create one single document for each attachment.
Email with two attachments sent to an AODocs Secured Folder library
Two AODocs documents created from one email with two attachments